Computer-assisted maintenance management:
Computer-assisted maintenance management (often abbreviated CMMS) is an assisted management method of software intended for maintenance services of a company in order to help it in its activities.
A CMMS aims primarily to assist the maintenance services of companies in their missions. A maintenance service, according to the definition of AFNOR, seeks to maintain or restore property (equipment) in a specified state so that it is able to provide a specific service. A CMMS can also be useful in other departments of the company, such as production or operation (to provide information on the condition of the equipment), as well as the financial or general management of the company, by providing indicators to facilitate decision-making regarding fleet renewal, for example.
So, the most common functions of these software packages are :
- equipment management : equipment inventory, location, dedicated information management by type of equipment (production, buildings, vehicles, networks, computers) ;
- maintenance management : corrective (with OT : work order, or BT : work order, or ODM : maintenance order), preventive (systematic, conditional, forecast) ; this module often includes functionalities open to users beyond the maintenance department, as a management of intervention requests (OF), allowing any authorized person in the company to report an anomaly to be taken into account by maintenance ;
- managing the securing of installations for maintenance work : consignment, centralization, security clearance, deconsignment to allow optimal locking of an installation during maintenance operations ;
- stock management : shops, minimum or maximum restocking quantities, analyse ABC, selection lists (pick-lists), SEO and search, spare items, supplier catalog ;
- purchasing management : of spare parts or services (outsourcing, package or governed), quote cycle, purchase request, order, supplier receipt and return, billing ;
- personnel management and planning : activities, business, planning de charge, forecast, hour clock ;
- cost and budget management : of manpower, of stocks, of purchase, equipment rental, preparation of budgets, periodic monitoring, variance reports ;
- key performance indicators (key performance indicators : KPI) : piloting cockpit or dashboard for the manager (database queries for statistics, alerts)
Source: Wikipedia« Back to Glossary Index